- Creation of material for dissemination of scientific topics to the general public on different platforms with a wide international audience
- Generation of great stories to accompany our visualization tools and in collaboration with international scientists
- Creation of engaging posts and content including video and image editing (in collaboration with our designers) about climate action and our work, for our website, social media and events
- Ensure high quality and impact social media presence by keeping our social media (Twitter, Linkedin and Medium) accounts updated and use them to maximize our audience and market reach
- Research new communication platforms and ensure Lobelia’s presence on relevant ones
- Develop and implement a strong communication strategy across different platforms.
Lobelia is a pioneering company in the use of Earth Observation satellites to address the climate emergency. We develop and operate services to study the state of the Earth’s resources, and provide key data for adaptation and mitigation measures in face of the climate crisis.
Lobelia’s team is composed of passionate experts in physics, earth sciences, graphic design, computer science, data visualisation, engineering and business. We apply this interdisciplinary knowledge to actual products people use and want to use. We work with trusted data providers and have a growing network of international collaborators that are as engaged as we are to drive for change.
Lobelia is looking for a Science Communication Specialist to support its communication activities, with the mission to raise awareness on the importance of addressing the climate emergency and strengthen the digital presence of Lobelia.
1. Why you should work at Lobelia
Interesting science can be explained in klingon. Or we can work hard to translate it to as broad an audience as possible. Our scientific writers do precisely that: converting our insights and those of our partners into stories for space agencies, news outlets and social media.
From marine heatwaves to human migrations triggered by thermal stress, state-of-the-art scientific results are transformed into appealing stories, and those stories are presented through scrollytelling, digital globes, immersive resources and engaging journalism.
Come and tell the stories that matter to the people that want to act.
2. What you will do
Your primary role will be to create engaging content for scientific dissemination. You will participate in content creation for exciting projects focused on scientific communication with customers such as ESA. Through these projects you will have the opportunity to create stories about latest scientific discoveries, innovations and most of all climate action through new engaging narration techniques, such as scrollytelling. As a scientific communication expert, you will also be responsible for communicating our projects and results on our website, social media and in different events.
Your tasks will include:
We expect you to be able to create content and engaging material that can generate trust and loyalty in Lobelia. Your work will be key in attracting new customers and contacts and to raise awareness about climate emergency and the importance of climate action.
3. What you will bring
- Knowledge about science and particularly climate. While expertise in climate impact, big data, AI, software engineering, is not required, the candidate should be interested and willing to learn
- Capacity to communicate in a straightforward way on complex topics and able to communicate effectively on those
- Experience in Journalism, Digital Marketing or Social Media management
- Previous experience in writing content with focus on scientific dissemination
- An advanced level of spoken and written English is essential. The content will be generated primarily in English
- Strong desire to work in climate action
- Knowledge of marketing and social media trends
- Ability to create effective content to be integrated in impactful visual material (e.g. posters, website, events)
- Passion about people and social media
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills
- Able to work independently and proactively while being a valuable team member.
- A degree in Communications Science, Journalism or similar. Bachelor's or master's degree in journalism, communication, digital marketing, and/or environmental sciences or equivalent with an interest in scientific communication
- Previous digital projects and online portfolio.
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and/or Indesign
- Experience in the climate science outreach
- Catalan and Spanish language.
4. What we offer
We offer a full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary. The location for this vacancy is in Barcelona.
Our flexible working conditions do not only exist on paper. All of us take advantage of this flexibility and use it for a good work-life balance.
We offer challenging topics having a societal impact, the best gears to work on them, a stimulating and diverse working environment and an international network of trusted organisations, companies and experts we work with on a daily basis.
But above all, we offer the unique chance to work at the forefront of a social and economic movement to raise awareness on climate change and use evidence-based insights to cope with it in an effective way.
5. Tell us about you!
If you want to apply for this vacancy, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about your past, present and ideal future work. Send us your résumé or portfolio, and show us something you’ve written that makes you feel great.
Salary conditions will be adapted to the selected candidate. Both young and seasoned profiles are very welcome!
Thanks for your interest! We can’t wait to hear from you.