- Getting to know the ins and outs of satellite and climate data access
- Developing and maintaining large data processing chains
- Preparing, optimising and managing analysis-ready data in a cloud infrastructure
- Operationalization of physical and artificial intelligence prototypes and models
- Putting physical and AI/ML models into production
- Production of modular code and associated documentation.
Lobelia is a pioneering company in the use of Earth Observation satellites to address the climate emergency. We develop and operate services to study the state of the Earth’s resources, and provide key data for adaptation and mitigation measures in face of the climate crisis.
Lobelia’s team is composed of passionate experts in physics, earth sciences, graphic design, computer science, data visualisation, engineering and business. We apply this interdisciplinary knowledge to actual products people use and want to use. We work with trusted data providers and have a growing network of international collaborators that are as engaged as we are to drive for change.
Lobelia is looking for a Geospatial Data Software Engineer to strengthen its core product team and participate, among others, in our long-term goal to facilitate worldwide, high-performance access to public big data.
1. Why you should work at Lobelia
We want to enable action through data but… Have you ever tried accessing big public data? Exactly: not up to date, hidden behind proprietary or antediluvian APIs, quota-restricted, down-today-try-again-tomorrow. We are a referent in a global movement towards public data that lives up to its name: serverless, analysis-ready, cloud-native datacubes at Petabyte scale, available without restriction and (obviously) for free. Here at Lobelia we work at the forefront of data liberation and we do it in a great way.
In fact we have developed software to explore Petabyte-scale data fully interactively, and at full resolution, from the comfort of your browser (just like our MyOcean Pro explorer, but without the down-sampling).
With climate and Earth Observation datasets becoming larger by the day (exabytes just around the corner), how can we explore them in useful, intuitive ways without data providers or consumers paying an astronomical bill? Good news: technologies such as Zarr, Blosc, Xarray, Dask, CDNs are mature enough to make that possible. But we need Data Engineers like you to make this vision a reality.
2. What you will do
Your primary role will be to design, develop, test, deploy and maintain new elements of the operational processing chains. At Lobelia, this means:
We’re looking for a seasoned Software Engineer that loves creating solid solutions to challenging problems, and that can own major parts of the system.
3. What you will bring
- Creating processing pipelines for EO/climate data imagery and knowledge of geospatial formats (Zarr, COG, netCDF/HDF5, GeoJSON, etc.) and metadata formats (STAC, Intake).
- Experience in designing and implementing storage capabilities for structured and unstructured data (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Cloud computing and storage systems (AWS, GCP, Azure or similar)
- Experience developing back-end services (e.g. designing and implementing APIs, developing algorithms, accessing back-end services and databases)
- A love for computational optimisation
- Test-driven and documented development methodology to produce high-quality and modular code.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
- A master’s degree in Computer Science or similar
- Experience with deployment of production-ready ML products
- Experience in deployment clusters (Kubernetes or ECS), building containers (docker, or OCI/Buildah) and creating DAG-like workflows (e.g. using Apache Airflow)
- Experience in the remote sensing field e.g. geospatial analysis tools (dask, xarray) and standards (Zarr, COG, STAC, Intake, OGC API)
- Experience in satellite data processing techniques (calibration, geo-referencing, orthorectification, gridding, mosaicking etc..).
4. What we offer
We offer a full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary. The location for this vacancy is in Barcelona.
Our flexible working conditions do not only exist on paper. All of us take advantage of this flexibility and use it for a good work-life balance.
We offer challenging topics having a societal impact, the best gears to work on them, a stimulating and diverse working environment and an international network of trusted organisations, companies and experts we work with on a daily basis.
But above all, we offer the unique chance to work at the forefront of a social and economic movement to raise awareness on climate change and use evidence-based insights to cope with it in an effective way.
5. Tell us about you!
If you want to apply for this vacancy, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about your past, present and ideal future work. Send us your résumé or portfolio, and show us something you’ve written that makes you feel great. We’ll also be very pleased to see some OSS you’ve created or how you set up your IDE.
Salary conditions will be adapted to the selected candidate. Both young and seasoned profiles are very welcome!
Thanks for your interest! We can’t wait to hear from you.