- Identification of local civil infrastructure (i.e. bridges, railways, roads...) and connected behaviors of interdependent systems (including infrastructures and NBS) in different areas worldwide, with special focus on Europe
- Investigation of existing climate resilience and adaptation strategies
- Identification and selection of physical climate risk assessment guidelines (i.e. JRC, STREST, ...) and relevant vulnerability analysis frameworks
- Definition and implementation of metrics for the evaluation of the physical climate impact, particularly on infrastructures and NBS
- Research and selection of analysis tools and relevant datasets (i.e. structural vulnerability functions, fragility curves, response and vulnerability analysis models, ...) for the identified infrastructures and solutions
- Execution of scenario simulations (stress test) based on single and multiple hazards projections developed by the scientific team, to identify exposure to threats and vulnerabilities at the asset level, and the possible consequences of cascading effects / failures on a regional scale
- Quantification of physical damage associated with each relevant climate hazard at the asset and regional level, with a focus on monetary losses, in support of economic impact assessments
- Provide support in communication, preparation of events, literature review and proposals writing for climate vulnerability topics
- Assess client needs in relation to climate impact, formulate technical approaches, work on publications/technical papers and deliver presentations.
Lobelia is a pioneering company in the use of Earth Observation satellites to address the climate emergency. We develop and operate services to study the state of the Earth’s resources, and provide key data for adaptation and mitigation measures in face of the climate crisis.
Lobelia’s team is composed of passionate experts in physics, earth sciences, graphic design, computer science, data visualisation, engineering and business. We apply this interdisciplinary knowledge to actual products people use and want to use. We work with trusted data providers and have a growing network of international collaborators that are as engaged as we are to drive for change.
Lobelia is looking for a Climate Impact Analyst to strengthen its scientific team.
1. Why you should work at Lobelia
Nature has been left out of the economic equation for too long, and recent efforts to address the situation have sometimes led to a great deal of greenwashing. But we’re in acute need: climate impacts have a cost, biodiversity has a value, and the sooner we all figure out a way to introduce these elements in the value chain, the better we will be able to protect the only planet we have.
At Lobelia we combine observational datasets, advanced models and AI to provide inputs for the financial market. If you know an awful lot about climate, climate impacts, or vulnerable complex systems (transportation, energy, communications), we need your help.
2. What you will do
Your primary role will be to work directly with the scientific team and use climate models, projections and tailored datasets to quantify in the physical impact of future climate on existing and future infrastructures Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) and on the natural environment.
Your tasks will include:
3. What you will bring
- Master's degree in engineering (preferably structural, civil, environmental, or mechanical), earth science, energy resources, geography, economics, environmental policy, or a related field
- Knowledge of climate change risk assessments, climate impact modelling, adaptation and vulnerability topics (i.e. IPCC domain), climate scenarios and projected changes, and the climate-energy economy
- Previous experience in geospatial analysis, data science or simulation models related to the environmental and socio-economic impacts of climate change, including impact on infrastructure
- Strong technical skills and experience with data and quantitative methods and analysis
- Good understanding of statistics and programming (preferably Python)
- Interest in developing decision-support tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Positive attitude, always committed to success and being part of a team.
4. What we offer
We offer a full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary. The location for this vacancy is in Barcelona. Our flexible working conditions do not only exist on paper. All of us take advantage of this flexibility and use it for a good work-life balance.
We offer challenging topics having a societal impact, the best gears to work on them, a stimulating and diverse working environment and an international network of trusted organisations, companies and experts we work with on a daily basis.
But above all, we offer the unique chance to work at the forefront of a social and economic movement to raise awareness on climate change and use evidence-based insights to cope with it in an effective way.
5. Tell us about you!
If you want to apply for this vacancy, send us an email at email@example.com telling us about your past, present and ideal future work. Send us your résumé or portfolio, and show us something you’ve worked on that makes you feel great.
Salary conditions will be adapted to the selected candidate. Both young and seasoned profiles are very welcome!
Thanks for your interest! We can’t wait to hear from you.