- Perform climate risk analysis using in-house tools in addition to ad hoc analysis in real-world use cases globally.
- Report directly to international clients through detailed and easy-to-understand reports and presentations.
- Research and development of new methodologies and data-driven analysis based on state-of-the-art climate science.
- Provide support to the commercial and communication team providing technical and scientific advice for the elaboration of proposals, quotations and presentations.
- Review of the most recent scientific literature in climate science and climate risk analysis.
Lobelia is a pioneering company in the use of Earth Observation satellites to address the climate emergency. We develop and operate services to assess the state of those components of the climate system that have a critical impact on our society. Components like the exposure to present and future climate extremes, the quantification of water availability, the monitoring of carbon sequestration or the quantification of biodiversity are good examples of analysis we do providing key data for adaptation and mitigation measures in face of climate change.
Lobelia’s team is composed of passionate experts in physics, earth sciences, graphic design, computer science, data visualization, engineering and business. We apply this interdisciplinary knowledge to actual products people use and want to use. We work with trusted data providers and have a growing network of international collaborators that are as engaged as we are to drive for change.
Lobelia is looking for a Junior Climate Analyst to strengthen its scientific team.
1. Why you should work at Lobelia
Nature has been left out of the economic equation for too long, and recent efforts to redress the situation have sometimes led to a great deal of greenwashing. But we’re in acute need: climate impacts have a cost, biodiversity has a value, and the sooner we all figure out a way to introduce these elements in the value chain, the better we will be able to achieve a really sustainable world.
At Lobelia we combine observational datasets, advanced models and AI to provide inputs for the financial market. Do you know an awful lot about climate, climate impacts, or vulnerable complex systems (transportation, energy, communications)? We need your help.
2. What you will do
One of the main tasks of Lobelia is to fill the gap between the Academia generation of knowledge and the specific Industry requirements regarding climate information. We are currently doing so by performing solid and operational analysis based on state-of-the-art science providing very valuable data describing the exposure to diverse climate hazards globally. Your primary role will be to perform these science-based climate analyses and report directly to international clients. For this reason, a good understanding of climate science and the ability to adapt it to a real use case and explain it in a simple manner is essential for this position. You will work within a scientific team also contributing to the research and development of new methodologies and tools combining numerical models, remote sensing and machine learning.
Your tasks will include:
3. What you will bring
- Master's or PhD degree in earth science, engineering energy resources, geography, environmental policy, or a related field.
- Previous experience and knowledge in climate change risk assessments, climate impact modeling, adaptation and vulnerability topics (for example, the IPCC domain), climate scenarios and projected changes, and the climate-energy economy.
- Strong understanding of statistics and programming (preferably Python).
- Experience in geospatial analysis, data science or simulation models related to the environmental and socio-economic impacts of climate change.
- Strong technical skills and experience with data and quantitative methods and analysis.
- A creative mindset with a strong motivation to solve analytical problems in a logical and data-driven manner.
- Interest in developing decision-support tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of French is also appreciated.
- Positive attitude, always committed to success and being part of a team.
4. What we offer
We offer a full-time, permanent position, with a competitive salary. The location for this vacancy is Barcelona. Our flexible working conditions do not only exist on paper. All of us take advantage of this flexibility and use it for a good work-life balance.
We offer challenging topics having a societal impact, the best gear to work on them, a stimulating and diverse working environment and an international network of trusted organisations, companies and experts we work with on a daily basis.
But above all, we offer the unique chance to work at the forefront of a social and economic movement to raise awareness of climate change and use evidence-based insights to cope with it in an effective way.
5. Tell us about you!
If you want to apply for this vacancy, send us an email at email@example.com telling us about your past, present and ideal future work. Send us your résumé or portfolio, and show us something you’ve worked on that makes you feel great.
This position is offered within a programme supporting employment for people under 30 years old. However, we encourage everyone to apply as our company is always looking for new passionate talents. Please do not consider this as a restricting criterion.
Thanks for your interest! We can’t wait to hear from you.